Spondon publications

Books still available for sale
Publications held by the Historical Society
Publications available at the library
Genealogical transcripts at the library
Historical descriptions

This is a list of books concerning Spondon and its surrounding that are (as far as we know) still available for sale. It includes only those known to us, so is not exhaustive!

Not all of them will be easily obtainable; if you are having difficulties, us and we will try to help.

"A walk round Spondon": There are two  leaflets published by the Spondon History Society, describing guided walks. The main one, covering the older parts of the village has just been re-published and is available at £1.50. the other covers the Victorian aspects and is priced at £2.50
"Spondon: a History" by Susan Watson
Watnay Publishing 1989; ISBN 1 872418 00 7
" Parish Church of St. Werburgh Spondon, Derby " by J Hughes and S Lusted
1990, no ISBN
"Memories of Spondon" by Guy Brighouse
1989, no ISBN
"The Holy Well" by Peter & Helen Imms
St. Luke's Publishing 1996; ISBN 0 9528057 0 07
"Spondon in old picture postcards" by John R. Hughes and Pam Stevens
European Library - Zaltbommel/Netherlands 1994; ISBN 90 288 5920 9
"Glasses Please! - Memories of the Royal Oak , Ockbrook" by Olive Wilson
Royal Oak Books 1999; no ISBN

There are other pamphlets etc. which are held by the Spondon Historic Society in their archive. Many of these are no longer obtainable but if you are interested in them, us and we will try to help.

BARBER, Thomas G.: “How the Church came to Spondon, and her Chapelries Stanley and Chaddesden” 1950.
SPONDON LIBERAL CLUB: “The First Hundred Years” 1992
SPONDON HOUSE County School : “GATEWAY” Ingredere ut Proficias - School Magazine 1956, Reprint 1991
KENNEDY E J: “Ingredere ut Proficias - Spondon House School ”. c1964.
METHODIST CHURCH Spondon: “Stone Laying Ceremony, 1933.” Pamphlet
METHODIST CHURCH Spondon: “Silver Jubilee Souvenir Programme” 1959
METHODIST CHURCH Spondon: “Golden Jubilee Souvenir Brochure 1984
CRICKET CLUB Spondon: “Spondon Cricket Club Centenary” 1983
STOWER, John.: “Memoirs” 1976
SPONDON MUSICAL SOCIETY Spondon: “The Sorcerer – Programme 1975
SPONDON HOUSE SCHOOL : “AVANTI” – School Magazine 1929
HACKETT, Dennis: “The History of the Future – The Bemrose Corporation 1826-1976"
MOORE , J. A: “60 Years of Scouting in Spondon”– 66th Derby (1st Spondon,) Scout Group
SPONDON 2000: “Spondon Millennium Souvenir Brochure”

There are also a number of books and publications available in Spondon library:

Atkin, Gwen:  History of Spondon W.I. (1988)
Barber, T: How the Church came to Spondon (1950)
Brighouse, Guy: Memories of Spondon (1989)
Brighouse, Guy: Spondon- the place of my birth (original) (1990?)
Broughton, W:  11 Years Hard (1988)
Derby City Council: War Memorials in Derby Library Service(1994)
Derbyshire Family History Society: 1851 Census Name Index Vol 14:4 (1987)
Derbyshire County Council: 1991 Census Profile Guide (1991)
Hughes, John: Spondon in old picture postcards (1994)
Hughes, John; Spondon Aflame (1990)
Imms, Peter: The Holy Well
Kennedy, E. J.; Spondon House School
Lusted, S: Spondon Millennium Souvenir Brochure (2000)
Lusted, Syd: Declaration of Allegiance (1990)
Lusted, Syd; Spondon Notes 1177 – 1770 (1987)
Lusted, Syd; Who was St Werburgh? (1990)
Moore, J A: 60 yrs of scouting in Spondon 1910 – 70 (1971)
Porter, Ken: A history of a Derbyshire Village (1987)
Porter, Ken: George Porter
Shardlow,Arthur: An account of the old poor laws to 1834
Spondon Historical Society: A Walk around Spondon
Watson, Susan: Spondon - A History (1989)
Wood, Norman: Once a grenadier (1997)
Wright, George: Spondon (First Paper) (1913)
Wright, George: Spondon (Second Paper) (1932)
Various: 66th Derby Scouts 50th anniversary (1977)
Various: An index to the 1851 Census of Spondon (1851)
Various: Borrow Wood School 1990 – 1981
Various: Census of Spondon (1891)
Various: History of Locko Park
Various: Spondon Census population profile (1991)
Various: Spondon Church
Various: Spondon County School (1956)
Various: Spondon House County School (1956)
Various: Spondon Liberal Club (1st 100 years) (1992)
Various: Spondon Street Directory (1935)
Various: The Cade Family (1988)
Various: The railway comes to Spondon
Various: Newspaper cutting 1940’s and 50’s
Various: Census information
Spondon in Bloom portfolio 2005
Spondon in Bloom portfolio 2006
Spondon in Bloom portfolio 2007
SCAN 20th Anniversary edition
DVD: Spondon’s past in pictures
CD Rom: Newspaper cuttings 1983 - 1997

The library also holds a number of local genealogical records:

Index of Baptisms (1653 - 1941)
Index of Burials (1653 - 1922)
Index of Marriages (1653 - 1939)
Church Baptisms (1813 - 1848, 1849 - 1867, 1867 - 1884, 1884 - 1900, 1900 - 1916, 1917 - 1931, 1931 - 1941)
Church Marriages (1813 - 1837, 1837 - 1868, 1869 - 1897, 1897 - 1915, 1915 - 1929, 1930 - 1938, 1938 - 1939)

Historical descriptions

Extract from William Wooley's  17th century "Description of Derbyshire", edited by Catherine Glover and Philip Riden in 1981 and published by the Derbyshire Historical Society.

"SPONDON in Doomsday Book is called Spondune, was part of the lands of Henry de Ferrers, who came over with William the Conqueror and whose son Robert was created Earl of Derby anno 1090. Under him it was held by Stori. It is a large lordship and very good land of all sorts, especially meadowing, which lies on the banks of the River Derwent. The town is pleasantly and healthfully situated on a hill, with fine cornfields round about it. The church has a spire steeple which is a landmark a great way round about it. It is but a small benefice and lies about two miles east from Derby in the road towards Nottingham. It came into the Lancastrian family anno 1 Edward I, under whom Robert de Pipard held lands here under them, which he left to his son Richard, who left it to his son Ralph, who died 3 Edward II. Richard Daniel died 15 Edward II and left an estate here etc to his daughters and coheirs Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Meverel, Catherine, wife of (44r) Thomas Curzon, Knight of Croxal. Ralph de Pipard left a capital messuage here to his son John. At the same time Henry de Grey and Ralph de Stratton held lands here. 9 Edward III Robert de Sallow died and left his son Robert an estate here and at Loko. 11 ditto John de Spoondon gave an estate at Hartshorn to the Abbey of Leicester. Anno 5 Richard II Jeffrey of Chaddesden and parson of Longwhatton and John of Twyford, vicar of Spoondon, amongst others gave an estate here to Dale Abbey. 2 Henry IV William de Sallow left an estate here to his son George, who died 5 Henry V and left it to Agnes, his daughter, who married Marmien and died without issue 3 Edward IV and left it to her cousin and heir, Agnes, wife of Thomas Pilkington. The Abbot of Darly also had an estate here. 20 Edward IV Sir William Plumpton, Knight died and left an estate at Chaddesden, etc. to Margret, wife of John Racliffe and Elizabeth, wife of John Stothile, his granddaughters. Anno 7 Henry VII Ralph Pole of Radborn, Esq. died and left an estate here to George, son of John, son to Ralph, his cousin. John Curzon of Kedleston Esq. died '4 Henry VIII and left an estate here at Chaddesden etc to his son Richard. 18 ditto George Meverel of Throwley died and left an estate here to his son Francis. Anno 36 Henry VIII John Poutrell of Hallom died and left his son Thomas an estate here. Anno 2 Edward VI John Curzon Esq. died and left an estate to his son Francis. 6 ditto German Pole died and _ an estate to German the son of Francis, his son. Thomas Poutrell died 4&5 Philip & Mary and left an estate here. Sir Henry Sacheverel who died 5&6 Philip & Mary had left an estate here and at Chaddesden etc. John Bird of Locko died 1 Elizabeth and left an estate here to his son William. Peter Fretchvile Esq. of Stanley died 24 ditto and left his son Peter an estate here. Henry Beaumont of Normanton died 27 ditto and left an estate here at Chaddesden to his son Francis. 35 ditto Robert Newton of Chaddesden died and left his son Thomas an estate here, as did John Sacheverel of Morley to his son Henry. 41 ditto German Pole left his son Francis an estate here. Since, there is a great many good freeholders as the Wilmots, Carrington, Sneesby, Antel etc. Henry Gilbert has lands there, who is also lord of the manor and has given the tithes of Locko to the vicarage of Spoondon. M Gilbert gave to the poor of Spoondon £50 p.a. to be distributed every Lord's Day. Mr Parker of Spoondon gave several lands to the vicarage and poor.


LOCKO, the Upper and Nether, about a mile north of Spoondon. A fine lordship, well wooded and good land. It is in the parish of Spoondon with which it joins in taxes. There is only three or four houses. The first mention I find of it was anno 25 Edward I, when it was called Lockay and Ralph Frechvile and Philip Marks had estates. 9 Edward III Robert Sallow held lands here under Sir William of Chaddesden, Knight, when it was called Lockaw. Anno 12 Richard II Richard Grey died and left Lockaw to Alice, daughter of Sir Godfrey Foliamb charged, with other things with a rent charge of 7s 6d to the master of the hospital of St Leonard in Burton Lazers. Anno 3 Edward IV Agnes Marmien, before mentioned, left her lands here to Agnes, wife of Thomas Pilkington. Also Sir William Plumpton, afore mentioned, held lands here. Anno 1 Edward VI John Bird gent. died and left his son William an estate here - Chaddesden and Spoondon and Nether Locko - who sold Nether Lockow to William Gilbert in whose family it now is. But Upper Locko 26 Elizabeth was left by Fausterus Fielding to his son Anthony. There is now standing an old house with an estate of about £100 p.a. It was lately Mr Walker's of Derby, whose daughter married John Harpur of Little Over Esq., whose it now is. There is on the backside of the house a curious well of springing water called St Ann's well which is walled and paved with stone; it feeds the fishponds (44v), runs down by Nether Locko, through the gardens and turns a mill in Chaddesden liberty, about a mile below the fountain.

NETHER LOCKO has a very good stone house where the present Henry Gilbert built a curious chapel of stone for the use of his family and neighbourhood, which was consecrated anno 1673 and keeps a chaplain to officiate. About the top of it, instead of rails and baluster, is a stone parapet in which it is cut these words, DOMUS MEA VOCABITUR DOMUS ORATIONIS. The family is very ancient, who came from Henry Gilbert de Lullington of Gilbert's Place about the time of Henry III, who had Thomas, who had Richard, who had Thomas, who had Thomas, who had Ralph, who had Richard about King Edward II's times, who had William, who had Richard, who had Robert about Edward III, who had Nicholas, who had Roger, Henry IV, who had John, who had Roger, who sold the ancient inheritance and purchased lands at Barrow-uponTrent, who had Thomas, who had Hugh, who had William, who married Elizabeth Coke of Trusley and bought Locko, of Beard. Thomas Gilbert of Locko anno 1611, who had Henry, who had Henry, who had Henry, who had John and Thomas, which three last descents are now alive 1712. Their arms are sable, a leg cooped above the knee, armed, argent between two spears erect argent, which arms they used in Henry III's time. The crest a right arm bent, holding a spear broken. Taxed with Spoondon at £169 9s."

Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835

"SPONDON, in the hundred of Appletree, is a parish which was formerly more extensive than now, the chapelries of Chaddesden, Lockhay, and Stanley having been some years since separated from it, and erected into distinct parishes. The village of Spondon, which is about three miles E.S.E. from Derby. is situate on a commanding eminence, overlooking the beautiful vale of Derwent, and is the residence of several highly respectable families.

Many of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of lace and net, chiefly for the Nottingham market. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the decorated style of English architecture; in the chancel are three stone stalls; it has lately undergone a thorough repair, and received an addition of nearly two hundred sittings: the living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the executors of the late H. D. Lowe, Esq. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyan methodists. The parish (including the chapelry of Stanley), contained, in 1821, 1,543 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,867."